Is the Role Right for You? The Digital Marketing Manager Job Description
About 53% of retail sales will be through the internet within the next ten years. Young people who have grown using the internet exceed half of the adult population in the UK. As such, businesses are embracing digital marketing to appeal to more potential clients.
Digital marketing is not just about knowing how to use the internet. Companies seek to hire marketers who have the right set of skills and experience. Digital marketing has a broad scope, and getting the right person for the job is essential.
If you’re enthusiastic about marketing, being a digital marketing manager can be the right fit for you. Digital marketing goes beyond advertising. Keep reading to know more about the digital marketing manager job description.
What Is Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is the form of advertising delivered via digital channels. It includes social media, websites, search engines, mobile apps, and email. These platforms seek to introduce individuals to your brand.
There are several digital marketing assets at your disposal. Using these platforms can increase leads. You’ll, however, need the right skills to benefit from digital marketing.
Digital marketing allows the prospect to see you and learn more about what you are offering. Besides, prospective customers can make relevant inquiries. This will enable you to provide clarity on your products or services.
Digital marketing has a variety of similarities to traditional marketing. In both, the aim is to develop mutually beneficial relationships with clients.
But digital marketing has become more prevalent. Digital marketing reaches a wider audience at a lower cost. It also provides several marketing platforms.
As a marketing manager, you need to orient yourself with the most crucial aspects of digital marketing. These aspects include social media, SEO, pay-per-click advertising, and company website. Using these platforms will give you an edge in digital marketing.
You can find out more about digital marketing in our ultimate guide.
Digital Marketing Manager Job Description
A digital marketing manager's job involves developing, implementing, tracking, and optimising digital marketing campaigns. The digital marketing manager should have unmatched knowledge of the current tools. If you can initiate a campaign and run with it from conception up to the execution, you're probably the ideal candidate.
Digital marketing managers also work with several supporting teams within the organisation. The collaboration ensures prompt campaign launches. It also allows the entire team to work with the allocated digital marketing budget.
There are several things that you should know about your digital marketing interview. Other than the trends in the industry, you need to have insights on digital marketing manager job responsibilities.
A digital marketing manager has several job responsibilities to execute. Some of these roles include:
- Develop and scrutinise all the campaign budgets
- Design and manage the entire digital marketing department. This role is inclusive of display advertising, email, and marketing databases
- Plan and control the company's social media platforms
- Monitor the primary marketing metrics to establish the effectiveness of online advertising
- Report on the performance of digital marketing activities and compare the results against key performance indicators and ROI
- Review the brand message regularly to ascertain its consistency
- Develop a workable digital marketing strategy
- Collaborates with other supporting teams to create impressive client-centred landing pages
- Recruitment, selection, and training of employees in the digital marketing department
- Provides educational opportunities, relevant information, and growth opportunities for digital marketing staff
- Analysis of end-to-end consumer experience in different digital channels.
- Identify the latest technologies and trends affecting the industry
- Prepare and execute conversion tests
Globally, businesses are projected to spend $1.3 trillion on digital marketing in 2020. True to it, companies invest in digital marketing, hoping for a favourable ROI. For that reason, businesses have set the minimum requirements for a digital marketing manager.
A digital marketing manager job requires you to have at least a Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing. Besides the educational requirements, other qualifications include:
- At least two years working experience as a digital marketer
- Experience in executing successful social media campaigns
- Exhibit practical experience in SEO management, email, and marketing database
- Undisputable knowledge of marketing analytics tools such as SEMRush and Google Analytics
- Experience in the optimisation of user funnels and landing pages
- Practical skills in multivariate experiments and A/B
- Updated on new technologies and the latest trends in digital marketing
- In-depth insights on all social media platforms
How to Improve Your Skills as a Digital Marketing Manager
One of the ways to land your dream digital marketing job is by having the required set of qualifications and skills. Besides having a winning personality, you need to improve your skills.
There are several ways to hone your digital marketing skills.
- Have a strong digital presence—use sites such as Twitter and LinkedIn
- Research on the latest trends in the industry—explore more on social media campaign ideas and how to use them to attract clients
- Take online classes such as the Google Online Marketing Challenge
- Build a strong online brand. When you have a solid following, you will research more so that you can feed your followers with relevant information
- Seek feedback. You need to identify several digital marketing professionals you admire. Get feedback to enable you to expand your knowledge
- Create physical networks; don’t just dwell on your social media engagements, go out and interact. Attend relevant events and network
- Sharpen your content development skills by reading more
- Subscribe to informational newsletters, YouTube channels, and blogs. You will gain extensive knowledge from other experts in the industry
Qualities of a Successful Digital Marketing Manager
Successful digital marketing managers have several notable qualities. These attributes complement the digital marketing manager job description. Some of the qualities include:
Digital marketing campaigns thrive on creativity. Digital marketing managers need to be creative in developing unique ideas. They should also pioneer brainstorming sessions to reach a solution.
Creative digital marketing managers are a resource in a business. They enable a company to grow and make profits amidst the competition. If a digital marketer isn’t creative, transforming leads into sales would be impossible.
2. Adaptability and Flexibility
Digital marketing is ever-changing, so should a digital marketing manager. One should have a willingness to adapt and change. There are often new practices and trends that you ought to embrace.
You will also need to keep updating your knowledge base and skill set. Keep updated on the best practices in the industry so that you'll know when it is time to advance. In fact, the digital marketing job description is concise on the manager's knowledge of industry trends.
A successful digital marketing manager has a keen interest in data. Digital marketing is all about analysing metrics and data. A marketer needs to know the number of prospects. Conversion rates and are other vital metrics necessitating analysis,
Being analytical enables a marketing manager to understand crucial insights about customers’ behaviour. With such understanding, it is possible to influence consumers’ purchasing decisions.
4. Passionate Learning
The passion for learning is one of the qualities differentiating digital marketing managers. In digital marketing, constant learning is a prerequisite. The field is ever-evolving, and being on top of the game requires you to keep learning.
You need to be up to date on best practices, technologies, and all relevant information. Learning doesn’t mean that you have to undertake a course. Networking and attending conferences increase your knowledge about the trends in the industry.
5. Communication Skills
In 2019, about 87% of adults in the UK used the internet daily. Online communication has gained precedence in recent years. Successful digital marketers have the right communication skills. These skills help them engage with potential clients on different digital sites.
Digital marketing involves building relationships, trust, and disseminating the right information. A marketing manager needs to have communication skills. The skills help to accomplish the goals of digital marketing.
The message you convey to your target market should be concise and clear enough. Communications skills enable you to give a message that resonates with the audience.
The Digital Marketing Manager Job Description Will Give You Insights into What the Role Entails
With the advent of digital technologies, digital marketing is growing. Being a digital marketing manager can be challenging yet rewarding. If you go through the digital marketing manager job description, you’ll establish if it suits you.
Being a digital marketing manager allows you to create brand awareness. With the right set of skills and knowledge, digital marketing will prove to be a fulfilling career. You will have an occupation that changes with evolving trends.
Search: Digital Marketing Manager Jobs
Next up: Typical Digital Marketing Career Path