As our new Social Media Specialist, you will support the Programming Manager and Programming Director in delivering and overseeing social media and digital video output for the Top Gear brand (including but not limited to YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, Snapchat, Web and CRM).
The role will oversee the demands of the brand’s publishing calendar and content slate, and will support commercial, marketing, paid and organic activities for the brand. Successful candidates will also feed into content creation, delivering ideas and briefing editors, internal teams and/or third parties.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Creation of digital content for Top Gear’s network of branded channels, including YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat & TikTok, plus oversight of web & newsletter output
- Supervise digital video content creation ensuring assets align with brand priorities and tone and platform best practices.
- Approve and/or sign off scheduled digital editorial content ensuring editorial accuracy, tone and grammatical guidelines are met.
- Ensure all activity complies with BBC Studios guidelines and escalation and issue management procedures are adhered to.
- Support the development and implementation of brand and commercial strategies, including video monetisation and audience growth strategies.
- Provide ad hoc research and analysis to inform future output with regular and consistent feedback to managers.
- Ownership of allocated projects, ensuring digital output is aligned to strategy, objectives and KPIs.
- Lead on platform best practice and feedback to relevant stakeholders.
- Work closely with editors and video production personnel on the delivery and execution of projects, contributing to creative ideation and content creation.
- Oversee community management on social in line with brand tone of voice.
- Support the team across wider digital output including web, newsletters and podcasts.
- Ensure continuous awareness of the digital landscape, delivering ideas for commercial and non-commercial activities as new opportunities arise.
- Analyse digital performance data and derive insights to optimise future asset creation, working closely with the Insights team. Be accountable for performance improvements, optimisation and platform best practice.
- Implement thorough A/B testing to inform content optimisation
- Ensure content is produced with commercial relevancy in mind, driving digital video revenue and/or alternative revenue streams from digital.
- Line management responsibility for Digital Co-ordinators and editors, including managing work, mentoring and development and ensuring quality of output.
- The Programming team are directly responsible for 150+ handles across the BBC Studios portfolio, including power brands such as Doctor Who, Bluey, Hey Duggee, Top Gear and BBC Earth, plus governing and coordinating our editorial output across these channels.
- As an operational area we must make challenging decisions daily, particularly around controversial or sensitive content. Content planning is a key aspect and will require detailed decision making and firm knowledge of BBC guidelines and procedures.
- A mistake around use of content can have serious legal and reputational implications for the BBC – up to date editorial and governance training will be given and must be maintained.
- Part of a team responsible for revenue generation across Social and YouTube channels.
- Works across multiple teams, regions and timeframes and liaise extensively with key stakeholders across different business areas
- Involved in supervising editorial output across social handles in line with Social AVOD strategy and in partnership with editorial leads
- Expected to operate relatively autonomously for most operational activity.
- Key measures of success include: increasing social AVOD revenues in line with approved stratgey, audience growth and increases in engagement.
- Reports directly into the Programming Manager
Are you the right candidate?
- A proven background in big-brand digital channel management and management of associated communities.
- A proven background in content creation and creativity within a digital space
- Knowledge of the current digital landscape and knowledge of trends/future trends
- Experience of building and engaging large scale online audiences
- Experience of working to tight deadlines and managing key stakeholder relationships
- Organised whilst multitasking and ability to manage multiple workstreams/projects
- An ability to deliver at pace and anticipate deadlines
- Experience of data analytics tools and campaign measurement tools
- Experience of content creation tools (Photoshop/Premiere Pro etc)
- Experience managing sizeable digital channels (Social, Web, CRM)
- Line management experience
- A passion for the automotive industry – and knowledge of the automotive landscape
- Experience within an automotive publisher, brand, manufacturer or motorsport series.
- Basic video editing skills and strong copywriting and editorial acumen
- Experience with Monday.com or similar project management tools
Location: London – Television Centre
Salary: £27,300 to £31,936 depending on relevant skills, knowledge and experience. The expected salary range for this role reflects internal benchmarking and external market insights.
We are really proud to share that we are a Level 2 Disability Confident Employer and so if you require any reasonable adjustments in order to apply please do contact us.
BBC Studios puts sustainability at the heart of everything we do both onscreen and offscreen, including delivering against the BBC Group’s science-based Net Zero targets.
BBC Studios is a world-leading creative powerhouse, responsible for producing and distributing high-quality content that captivates audiences globally. With a rich heritage and a commitment to excellence, BBC Studios sets the benchmark for innovative storytelling and entertainment.
As the main commercial and production arm of the BBC, we’re fuelling the BBC’s future. We’re pioneers of storytelling, generating millions in revenue each year, while working in partnership with – and supporting – the wider creative industries.
At BBC Studios, we foster a culture of creativity, collaboration, and inclusivity. We embrace diverse perspectives and talent, driving innovation and pushing boundaries to create exceptional content that resonates with audiences across different cultures and platforms.
We are proud of our heritage, and we are excited about the future. If you are passionate about creating exceptional content and shaping the future of the global media industry, we invite you to join us on this incredible journey at BBC Studios.