Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect millions of entrepreneurs with millions of buyers around the world. As an Etsy Inc. employee whether a team member of Etsy, Reverb, Depop, or Elo7 you will tackle unique, meaningful, and large-scale problems alongside passionate coworkers, all the while making a rewarding impact and Keeping Commerce Human
What’s the role?
We are looking for a Senior Director, Advertising and Brand Media to create and execute on a vision for the future of Etsy’s above-the-line marketing function on a global scale.
In this newly created role, you will spearhead brand media planning, media experimentation, media optimization and full funnel activation within the Advertising, Communications and & Engagement Marketing (ACE) team. You will provide thought leadership and an innovation roadmap for the team’s future, while also being accountable for delivering and growing return on ad spend from today’s brand marketing investments.
You will lead a small team of savvy, experienced advertising & brand media experts – empowering them to do big things on a global scale – with the support of our media agencies in the US and international markets.
Based on your deep experience, you will also be skilled in communications planning, insight development, digital & offline media channels activation and full-funnel measurement. You will have direct experience creating or optimizing a unified measurement approach across paid media, social/content, influencer, experiential and PR.
In addition, you will be a lynchpin in our operating model, creating best in class partnerships and connectivity between the ACE team and our partners across Finance, Analytics, Research, Growth, Product Marketing, CRM and Brand/Creative.
As a senior leader, you possess high levels of accountability, agility, and a strong collaborative mindset. Your motivation lies in delivering tangible impact, driving a long term vision and empowering your team to achieve company and professional growth.
You are energized by the opportunity to shape and grow a pivotal function within a rapidly evolving and dynamic business landscape. And you value the mission of Etsy and our work to keep commerce human for our community of 6 millions sellers and 100 millions buyers.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Vice President, Advertising, Communications & Engagement Marketing. and the base salary range will be 198,000 – 258,,000 USD per year. In addition to salary, you will also be eligible for an equity package, an annual performance bonus, and our competitive benefits that support you and your family as part of your total rewards package at Etsy.
This role requires your presence in Etsy’s Brooklyn office in an in-person or flex capacity. Candidates living within commutable distance of the Brooklyn Hub, may be the first to be considered.
Etsy offers different work modes to meet the variety of needs and preferences of our team. Learn more about our Flex and Office-based work modes and workplace safety policies here.
What’s this team like at Etsy?
- The Advertising and Brand Media team is responsible for telling Etsy’s story and driving business on a global scale. The team leads the development of compelling above-the-line brand campaigns that align to the company’s top priorities, retail moments and product launches. The team is part of the larger Advertising, Communications & Engagement (ACE) function within the Marketing org.
What does the day-to-day look like?
- Leads the development of long term advertising & brand media strategy, while supporting the team in ongoing campaign launches.
- Partners with the analytics teams to ensure that measurement frameworks, reporting cadences and campaign optimizations are taking place
- Oversees investment plan development and implementation.
- Utilizes data and analytics to generate insights for optimizing investment, messaging, and marketing mix
- Leads team and agency in negotiating added value inventory, research partnerships and custom sponsorship elements.
- Maintains and grows key marketplace relationships, including senior-level media and technology platform contacts.
- Provides senior counsel on marketplace trends and investment best practices.
- Oversees the creation of audience journeys, engagement frameworks, campaign ecosystems, moments strategies for Advertising, Comms & Engagement channels.
- Forges relationships with internal members of Marketing and senior leadership across disciplines and departments (Brand/Creative, Growth, CRM, Social, Comms, Finance/Analytics & Research).
- Leads a team of passionate advertising & brand media experts – in US and International markets.
- Creates a learning and feedback culture, builds development and growth plans with each team member.
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy’s discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- 15+ years of experience in advertising, media planning & buying – with a mix of agency and brand experience strongly preferred.
- Deeply analytical with strong financial acumen and ability to utilize date to optimize investment, messaging, and marketing mix.
- Experience with advocating for and integrating research and insights into campaign planning and strategy development.
- Global experience and ability to lead development of a holistic strategy, while tailoring the approach to meet the needs and nuances of specific markets.
- 10+ years of experience managing high-performing teams at a senior level.
- Proven track record of thought leadership in advertising and brand media – as evidenced by your ability to sell in program, process and plans within previous roles.
- Deep understanding of the evolving media and competitive landscape with a point-of-view on a brand’s opportunity and challenges within it.
- Stellar relationships with media partners, agencies and cross-functional leads.
- Direct experience leading full-funnel campaigns, with proven ability to maximize brand investments by connecting dots between the brand, growth, loyalty, comms and social disciplines.
If you’re interested in joining the team at Etsy, please share your resume with us and feel free to include a cover letter if you’d like. As we hope you’ve seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else — we want you to be like you! So tell us what you’re all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace furthers relevance, resilience, and longevity. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If, due to a disability, you need an accommodation during any part of the interview process, please let your recruiter know. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.