*** You must be legally authorized to work in the United States in order to be considered for this role.***
At BBC Global Digital News & Streaming, (a team situated within BBC Studios, the commercial arm of the BBC) we aim to help people understand the world around them, make informed choices, and take an active part in society and democracy. As we expand our footprint to meet increasing demand for our style of quality and impartial journalism and unscripted content in North America, we are seeking motivated, passionate, high performing individuals across a variety of skillsets to join our global team. Our primary locations are New York, Washington DC, and London, though as a distributed workforce we are open to applicants in any location where the BBC has a commercial presence.
Join us and be an essential part of one of the world’s most recognized brands and trusted news organizations.
BBC Studios is hiring 2 SEO Specialists within our award-winning News division.
As part of our Audience Engagement team, you will apply SEO and audience insights to elevate our daily report and leverage search to reach new and existing audience in North America.
Reporting to the Audience Development Editor, these are full-time positions which can be based out of either our Washington DC or NYC offices.
Together, these two specialists will staff an SEO desk, supporting fast-paced News and trending teams, as well as specialist teams working on topics such as business, tech, science, culture and travel.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
• Attend daily news meetings to report on top keywords and articles, suggest stories we should be writing, and identify those which should be closely updated and monitored
• Track changes in rankings and suggest improvements to optimise pages
• Make recommendations to journalists throughout the day around trending search terms and relevant keywords, ensuring relevant cross-linking and tags in articles
• Analyse historical search data and predict future trends so that we can better plan future output
• Contribute to an SEO calendar with topics, content ideas, and other strategic notes
• Provide competitive analysis on search performance to newsroom stakeholders, to spot opportunities in the market
• Help develop and provide regular reporting on our search performance
• Deliver impactful training sessions to newsroom editors and journalists
• Monitor and react to changes to search engine algorithms, and keep across the latest developments in SEO best practices
Knowledge, Skills, Training & Experience
• An understanding of SEO strategies and SEO content best practices
• Demonstrated ability to do keyword and trend research to provide actionable recommendations, as well as make this accessible for editorial teams.
• Experience working on enterprise-level sites
• Experience using Google Trends, Google Search Console and third-party enterprise SEO tools (e.g. SemRush, Similarweb, Screaming Frog, etc)
• Clear and effective written and verbal communication skills
• Strong organizational and time-management skills, with the ability to effectively prioritize tasks with initiative and pivot as news demands
• Collaborative and able to work with colleagues across editorial, audience development, analytics and product.
• Desire to understand, in detail, the consumer experience on BBC News digital products
• Enthusiasm for the BBC’s unique position as a global trusted news brand, and an understanding of the importance of impartiality – and what it means in practice
• 3+ years’ experience working in SEO content strategy or audience development, preferably in a news publishing environment.
The anticipated annual base salary for this position is $73k to $85k. This range does not include other benefits that an individual may be eligible for. The actual base salary offered depends on the qualifications of the individual applicant for the position, years of relevant experience, specific and unique skills, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held, and geographic location of the position.
Benefits and Perks
• 100% Employer-Paid Medical and Dental Insurance (PPO plans)
• Generous Paid Time Off
• Flexible, Hybrid Working Arrangements
• Work/life balance
• Free Retirement Consulting to All Employees
• Pet Insurance
• Commuter Benefits
• Gym Reimbursement
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual’s unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.