National Numeracy is an independent charity established in 2012. Our aim is to enable everyone across the UK to be confident and competent in using numbers and data, to be able to make good decisions in their daily life and at work. We are working towards our aim in three main ways:
Raising awareness about poor numeracy levels which exist in the UK, how important numeracy is in everyday life, and of the recognition that everyone can improve their skills.
Improving numeracy. We’ve helped nearly 200,000 people so far to check whether they have the ‘Essentials of Numeracy’, and are helping them to achieve them if they don’t.
Improving communication of numbers and data by helping organisations to use a ‘Plain Numbers’ approach, so that anyone can understand their information regardless of their numeracy level.
This is an exciting role for someone passionate about using digital tools to have great social impact.
This role will be responsible for working with the Communications Team to ensure National Numeracy (NN) reaches its digital engagement targets to help thousands of people improve their numeracy skills.
You will have knack for writing compelling messaging and choosing powerful imagery and footage, which when combined attracts and motivates people to improve their numeracy skills. As part of each campaign you will be committed to refining this (with the support of the team) to help us develop ever more compelling content.
You will be comfortable with using a variety of digital communications tools, with training and support from the wider team, and proactive at seeking out new opportunities to help us boost our digital reach.
You will work with the Communications and Marketing Team to develop and maintain content across NN’s digital presence, in particular:
• Working with the Digital Engagement Manager to build campaign specific dynamic landing pages and provide support to monitor the results.
• Implement ongoing content updates e.g. branding updates and new projects and campaigns (such as National Numeracy Day).
• Work closely with the team (including external web developers) to optimise user experience and flow across NN websites.
• Provide support to implement our SEO strategy, putting user experience at the heart of each new web content as appropriate.
• Co-ordinate and lead on the re-marketing ‘nudge’ email campaigns to over 100,000 users of the online numeracy assessment tool, including devising and testing messages, email design and layout using MailChimp (or similar), working with the Data Analyst on segmentation and GDPR compliance.
• Utilise social media to promote the online numeracy assessment tool – in particular Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and devise new ways to reach potential audiences.
• Assist with the creative development of materials and resources for partners.
• Support the team in the day-to-day running of the online numeracy assessment tool website, nnchallenge.org.uk.
• Help to gather and produce case studies to show our impact as an organisation.
• Work on design and messaging for marketing campaigns and projects and ongoing attempts to engage more people with numeracy tools.
• Work with other in-house teams to help plan and implement effective comms/marketing strategies across a range of projects and products.
• Deal effectively and professionally with all aspects of communication, including confidential correspondence.
• Establish, manage and maintain appropriate administration processes, databases and documentation control systems, and ensure accurate, up-to-date records are maintained.
• Pro-actively build and maintain good working relationships with colleagues, customers and external agencies to reflect the values of the organisation.
You will have
• Experience in digital communications or marketing.
• A thirst for all things social media related.
• Excellent written and verbal interpersonal /communication skills.
• Skills in a broad range of software packages including Microsoft Office (including SharePoint), spreadsheets, presentation / graphics and database.
• Experience of web analytics and social media management tools.
• Experience of using Mail Chimp or similar marketing tools.
• Experience of using Content Management Systems.
• Good organisational, interpersonal, multi-tasking, and prioritisation skills.
• Effective analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Educated to degree level. Working knowledge of basic HTML.
• Working knowledge of Google Adwords, Photoshop, Adobe Suite
• Working knowledge of GDPR laws
• An interest/understanding of behavioural techniques applied to marketing and comms
• Experience of provision of administrative support.
You will be
• A creative thinker who is enthusiastic and self-motivated.
• Detail oriented and task focussed.
• Self-motivated, pro-active and flexible.
• Able to work both independently and as part of a team.
• Numerate and recognise the importance of numeracy.
National Numeracy is an independent charity established in 2012. Our aim is to enable everyone across the UK to be confident and competent in using numbers and data, to be able to make good decisions in their daily life and at work.